December 2, 2009

Big Soft Ginger Cookies

2,000+ people can't be wrong... and it's true, these are delicious cookies. I was expecting something a little more like the molasses cookies at Starbucks, but these are even better with a crispy edge and a chewy centre.



Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp ground ginger (or 2 tbsp fresh grated ginger)
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tbsp water (omit)
1/4 cup molasses
2 tbsp granulated sugar

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, ginger (if using ground), baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg, then stir in the molasses and ginger (if using grated fresh).  Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the molasses mixture.  Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tbsp sugar.  Place the cookies 2" apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.
  3. Bake for 8-10 minutes.  Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.  Store in an air tight container.
Makes 2 dozen.

Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com

3 comments:

  1. I concur...tres tasty. The two you gave me? I pretty much inhaled

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought one of those was going to be for Sharon? Haha. I should have sent you home with 4 then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then I would've inhaled four before I got home

    ReplyDelete